It’s been a few days since I have written and shared anything.
Let me explain.
I live in a duplex.
I do not smoke.
In fact, I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke.
I suffered horribly for 19 years when I was a kid at home, growing up with a dad who smoked, with 2 sisters and a brother who smoked, with many family members who smoked.
- Thankfully our old house was so “open” that seldom was I caught in a room of smoke. I could almost always find a place to breathe.
- I remember many times sitting at my open window in the winter time, gasping for air, my eyes swelling shut and the tears rolling down my face.
- I took so much medication for headaches back then! It’s a wonder I don’t still rattle when I walk!
- Momma said it was only sinus headaches, brought on by the cottonwood trees that grew on our place.
When Rick and I married, he was a smoker.
But as soon as he saw what the 2nd hand smoke was doing to me? He stopped smoking in the house. And struggled for years to quit all together. Finally doing just that.
All these years, I have tried to respect the rights of a smoker.
- They have the right to choose. And they have the right to smoke. Even to enjoy it, as I know many do.
But, I also have a right.
- to breathe fresh air, especially in MY own home (even if it is 1/2 of a duplex).
So, anyway, back to why I haven’t posted in several days.
Eyes that have swollen and teared down my face almost constantly.
Throat burning like it’s on fire.
Ears aching and feeling like someone is jabbing a knife down into them.
Sick to my stomach.
No. It’s not the Covid-19.
Because I left the apartment on Monday, went to town to pick up groceries.
- I was gone from the apartment for about 3-4 hours. I was fine. NO problems. Even the headache was gone!!!
- I came back in, unloaded the groceries, and within about 30 minutes, headache slammed me! Along with all the other effects.
Then yesterday, I got out of the apartment and went over to see my son and his bunch.
- again, I was gone for about 3-4 hours. I was fine. NO problems. Headache was gone within an hour of leaving.
Not too bad thru the evening and night.
But then ... this morning about 6:30 a.m.
So thick in here that I lost my breath, my throat started closing up, eyes swelled, tears started, chest hurting, coughing and gagging
The only relief is to breathe into a Kleenex
I turned the AC unit on, just the fan, hoping it would help to filter the air
Lit 2 candles
And opened the window, even though it is 28* outside!
Sitting here with my feet on an heating pad, and one on my back, drinking hot coffee as fast as I can to stay warm
- fully dressed, jacket on and covered up with a blanket.
So, no offense to smokers, this SUCKS!!!
Momma, you're not fat. You're fluffy!
These were the words of my precious little girl one day many years ago. The innocence of a child. The words both stung my eyes, and warmed my heart.